Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Ironic Fates

Posted by Dr. Park, M.D. at 3:06 PM
Proverbs 1:8-19 (NIV / NASB / ESV)

Biblical wisdom can seem to be counter-intuitive yet never fails to yield surprising results. For example, in Luke 14:12-24, a parable of a great banquet is told. Those famaliar with this parable will know that at the end, the parable teaches us to be humble and that when we lower ourselves that we will be honoured and recognized. It would seem that one initially loses, but then eventually wins.

These verses in Proverbs show that the opposite is true, in that when one initially seems to win, in the end he or she loses. The verses show sinners that seek the blood of others and waylay harmless souls, yet in the end, they yield their blood and waylay themselves.

Whenever we pursue our sinful desires, in one aspect I think it's because we have a false sense that we will be better off if we give in to them. Whenever I do something questionable according to the scriptures, I always find myself appealing to my worldly logic, and try to justify my own sins. Fei, in Bible study last night, said something insightful, in that it's terrifying that we can even distort scripture to justify our sins. That really made me realize that we really are fools, in that we think our reasoning is above the commandments in the Word, and that by yielding to our fallacy-ridden reasoning, we believe that we will reap better rewards.

In a sense, we could reap rewards, but only rewards that will last in our lifetime. In the end, when our bodies expire, those rewards will disappear, and when we come before God to be judged, those worldly treasures described in verse 13 will not matter. This plunder that we hoard, is described as ill-gotten, and that it will ultimately lead to our demise. This counter-intuitive truth is ironic, in that though we believe we are well off, we are the exact opposite.

Matthew 6:19-21 clearly states that these worldly treasures will be susceptible to things like rust and thievery, but that our heavenly treasures will be untouchable. If our hearts lie with our treasures, then is it not clearly wise to accumulate as much heavenly treasures as possible? If our hearts are stored within the worldly treasure, when they wear down and turn to dust, so will our hearts, leading us to our own destruction.

I pray that regardless of how enticing sin may be, that I would have the wisdom to deny myself the worldly gains in order to accumulate spiritual wealth. May I find rest in the fact that Jesus will help me fight against my sinful urges, that he will give me power and the conviction necessary. Do not let me fall victim to sin and become waylayed by myself. Do not let me put my hopes into my worldly goods, for when they perish, so will my soul. Rather, let me put my faith in God knowing that He will reward me with everlasting gifts in heaven.

1 comments on "Ironic Fates"

feii on June 30, 2009 at 7:15 PM said...

hi sean :) dang, dr. park MD already??
i think this is a super idea to keep you accountable for QT's, but just be careful that you don't start writing for your invisible audience rather than yourself, k? :)

and i think it was Dan that shared the insight, not me. hehe, just giving credit where it's due. the end, keep fighting!

Post a Comment